Sunday, May 26, 2013

The day the music died...

Ray Manzarek "organist" of 'The Doors' died this week at the age of 74 due to cancer. For me and I'm sure for many keyboardists this is very sad news. I know for me, he was a huge part of my life, sounds weird to say about someone I've never met, buts its true. Every time I sit at the piano and play certain riffs, I think of him, because he taught me most of them. Its almost a curse for me, because I spent so much learning all his music as a young keyboard player that it permanently embedded playing habits that I cant break free from. He was a great musician and a great story teller. I think I have seen every interview and dvd he has been in to hear his stories of the Doors days. I was lucky enough to see him in 2004 with Robby Krieger playing the hits.

Now Ray can join Jim up in the ether somewhere and make music again...

No comments:

Post a Comment